Homophobes are fuckin stupid.
So in high school I had a friend who I was teaching hip hop dance to, and this summer after I returned home, I started coaching him more. He's going to be in college from the fall and will be trying out for a team, so I figured I'd get him into good shape for when he needed to do his thing.
I was helping him out a few night ago when we started talking about my team and how I like it. I talked about the people, how I liked the sense of family, and how it made me really used to being groped by guys because the gay guys on the team would joke around by being physical.
His jaw dropped.
Gay people? Dancing?
...yes, gay people dancing. Isn't that one of those labels you affix onto gay people right next to AIDS and Madonna?
I explained that yes, gay people dance, and I guess I must have seemed like I knew everything about this mysterious subspecies called "Gay People" (GP for short) and he asked if there were any gay people with decent amounts of muscle mass.
Yes. Really.
I think everything he's learned about homosexuals has been from youth group. That isn't even a jab at the church...well it is indirectly, but it's true. Everytime I've heard him say anything about gay people it's been because someone from youth group told him so. So I set him straight on how gay people are actually human beings like you and I and I THINK he got it, but I'm not sure.
Homophobes are fuckin stupid.
In the car last night we were having a conversation about the party scene at our respective schools and the girls got into a conversation about being hit on. One person brought up a situation where a guy wanted to make out with her, but was too scared to do so, so they made out with everyone else.
Funny. That happened to me. And it was a guy as well.
The girl next to me, who goes to church 4 times a week, yells out "EEW! GAY PEOPLE ARE SO GROSS!!".
...what?
"They're so scary."
...you're scared...of gay people.
...
They aren't the plague. They aren't going to tie you by the wrist and eat you. That's what conservative white America does. But. Nevertheless. You are scared. Of gay people.
Scared.
And you know it's a bad game of word association when the minute someone yells out "religious" and the first thing that pops up is "homophobia", but it's getting harder to separate the two and I hate that about myself but it's just...playing out so true.
It scares me that over half our country is devoted to a church that preaches love in the form of hate. It scares me that the churches that preach actual love are considered blasphemy and are put out as "liberal junk".
But the fact remains.
Homophobes are fuckin stupid.
Thursday, August 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment