Friday, August 10, 2007

025 - end of an era

A good 10 or so years ago, I picked up a book at my mother's behest and did a book report on it. It was a reluctant read, but I was soon enamored with it and read the two sequels to the book though none of my friends had heard of this book and the general consensus was that it looked, seemed, and sounded stupid. Add that to the fact that not only was it not popular among my friends, but searching the name in a search engine came up with the amazon.com page and nothing else.

I have just finished the last book in the seven part series.

It's a little...bittersweet. It ended perfectly. I can't think of a neater ending to the series than was laid out, but as a milestone it is bittersweet. A decade after my teacher took the informal poll of how many students in the class would like to read it resulting in none and after a decade of truly growing up with this book as the first literary work in my lifetime to influence a generation, the era is over.

This year I also finished the last book in Lemony Snickets "A Series of Unfortunate Events", started shortly before I arrived in New Jersey 6 years to this month.

You wonder where all the time has gone. You really wonder.

No comments: