Thursday, January 3, 2008

040 - reverse doppelganger

A year after I was born, my mom's cousin had a boy. Unknowingly, he was also named Sean, so there are two Seans in my family tree, albeit my very extended family tree.

In a fit of 1 AM net usage after talking to my grandmother about some stuff (she's visiting), I decided to google this other Sean's name and see what comes up...landing on his Livejournal.

Ok. I'm (for the most part) not the stalker type. I Google people when I think I might come up with their name in a school newspaper listing a track score or when I want to find e-mail addresses, and finding a Livejournal isn't exactly my idea of a usual find...so I was a little reluctant to click on it, but I figured that it's on the net. My blog is on the net, and I'm not sure how you found it, but you're reading what I'm writing here even though you don't know me. So I clicked on his journal.

In the two entries he has, he writes about family issues, drinking, and his girlfriend. He talks about serious issues with his dad (like...issues my family is known for but usually keeps hidden in well placed synonyms) and drinking. And mentions his girlfriend. I know you can't form a picture of someone by two blog entries and a Livejournal profile, but...we're so different. I can just tell by the way he writes and the way he frames things. He's a lot more down to earth than I am and definitely seems to be with it in much different ways than I am. And I'm not entirely surprised, I'm kind of a black sheep that strayed from the family but somehow is still liked so it's probably because I'm so fucked up, but it's weird to know that the other Sean is so separate from this one.

Of course, this is entirely ludicrous. I'm comparing myself with a kid I've never met based on two net entries and an autobiographical paragraph that doesn't count as anything, but I think...it's because I'm too much like an English teacher and find symbolism in too much shit that doesn't exist that I find it so interesting that there are two Seans with the same blood (kind of, not really at all though) who have been living our lives without really knowing about the other for so long. I think it's hard for me, first of all, to believe that I have a relative my age (I've NEVER had a relative my age) and that he's such a different person though we share this bullshit bond of a name.

Whatever. It's one in the morning and I'm coming off of my antibiotic medicine. That sounded really hardcore right there. I'm over analyzing and judging based on the table of contents.

Sean K____, if you're reading this (which I'm sure you never will), sup. Let's chill sometime. I'd like to meet the other me.

No comments: