Tuesday, May 1, 2007

005 - 5555 Carnarvon Street, Vancouver, BC

I'm supposed to be studying. I really am. I swear I was studying about 10 minutes ago...and then stopped...my mind wanders like crazy.

I was looking up a friend just now to see if I missed a certain event, and ended up inadvertedly typing in an old friend's name (they have the same first name) from Japanese school in Vancouver. This old friend came up...and the proverbial floodgates of nostalgia let loose.

It's crazy to think that 6 years ago I was in a completely different country living a completely different life. A life that I, admitedly, hated, but I still have this weird connection to. I was browsing this one group and looking at the members, all people I spent elementary school with, and it was so weird to see how we've all grown up and how we've all changed into real people. We've graduated high school and we're well on our way into the real world, a world eons apart from the sheltered brick of Kerrisdale elementary that many of us have probably forgotten completely.

It's crazy to think that life kept on keeping on when I left. Part of me feels like it stopped completely, but I look at these profile photos and see adults next to names which to me still are indicative of children. I mean, fuck. Jonathan Plumbley. How the hell does he have facial hair? Last time I checked he was an awkward 13 year old. How is it that Ellie Chan took her photo with a digital camera when we can barely use computer as grade seveners? Going back to BC last year was a close of the whole Vancouver thing to me, but I still look back on thost 13 years of my life and feel like it stopped permanently after I left. I still feel like what I saw last year was false. The puberty isn't real, the construction on Kerrisdale is just cardboard, the new shops in Kerrisdale don't actually exist. When I meet people from Vancouver, it's so weird because people from Vancouver who are my age should be 13 and awkward, not 19 with real world sensibility.

Now the permanent grade sixers are graduating. Us grade seveners have already moved onto life at university...leaving behind an elementary school that remains populated by the same teachers, the same students, and the same lives who were there in 2001. This is what is stuck in my mind...and it's hard to get past that. I know everyone has changed and I know I've changed drastically as well. I don't see myself the same way I did back then and good riddance for that. My life is so much better than it was and if I stayed, I don't know where I would be right now. Leaving was one of the best things that happened to me (I still think Vancouver is the best city in the world, don't get me wrong) and I guess the city remains in an eternal time freezeframe.

When I saw Alison Fu's profile pic, a photo of her from when she was little, it made me laugh. The only photo which looked correct to me was the only one which didn't show who they really were.

Yay for pointless blather.

No comments: